Courtesy of the Automotive Service Association
The following simple and inexpensive preventive checks will greatly extend the life of the vehicle, ensure safer operation and even benefit the environment.
Always consult your owner's manual for individual service schedules because maintenance requirements vary by manufacturer.
- Always consult your owner's manual, but a good rule of thumb is to have the oil filter changed regularly - every 3,000 to 4,000 miles.
- Have all fluids checked, including brake, power steering, transmission/transaxle, windshield washer solvent and antifreeze. These fluids play a large role in the safety and performance of the vehicle.
- Check tire inflation. Under-inflated tires can result in a loss of fuel efficiency. This is the least expensive form of preventive and safety maintenance. Tires should be checked once a month.
- Keep your engine tuned. A fouled spark plug or plugged/restricted fuel injector can reduce fuel efficiency by as much as 30 percent.
- Have the chassis lubricated frequently. This step extends the life of the moving components of the vehicle's suspension system.
- Check battery cables and posts for corrosion and clean them as needed. The battery fluid also should be checked and filled if it is low, unless it is a maintenance-free battery.
- Have the lighting system checked frequently, including headlights, turn signals, and brake and taillights.
- Check windshield washer blades for cracks, tears and windshield contact. Replace them at least once a year, or sooner if streaking begins.
- Inspect engine belts regularly. Worn belts will affect the engine performance. Look for cracks and missing sections or segments.
- Have the air filtration system checked frequently. The air filter should be checked every other oil change for clogging or damage. This system ensures that the vehicle is performing at its peak condition.
Discover More About Maintenance and Repair Services At Gretchen's Automotive in Long Beach
Auto AC & Heating Services
General Auto Repair Services
What People Say About Us
An asset to the neighborhood! Trustworthy and Fair mechanic! If I can't do it. Gretchen's Automotive is ALWAYS my 1st call.
They were so nice here! They saw me super quickly, fixed my car up, gave me some good advice, and sent me on my way. Think I found my new mechanic in Long Beach! A+
I've been going there for years. Honest, reasonable prices and an awesome crew makes this a must for quality auto repair/maintenance.
My family has trusted Gretchen's Automotive with all of their many cars, throughout the years. They are always honest and trustworthy in their repairs. You can count on not getting ripped off here!
Great service and friendly staff! Highly recommended for all your repair needs!
Great service took my car there for an oil change and needed a few other minor things done. They suggested some maintenance things that needed done without any pressure. Quick and affordable. Great place.
I called because my tire pressure light went on. I went to 76 to put air in the tire and noticed a screw in the tire. I called Gretchen's since it is a block from my house, the guy on the phone said bring it by. His dad fixed it in moments for free. I talked to him about my tires and car...asking if they do oil changed on Mercedes- they do. Mercedes told me I needed new tires. They said I don't. Family owned local business you can trust? Doesn't get any better